Friday, May 4, 2012

Will a PCI chipset in a Mobo work with a PCI Express x16 Video Card Chipset?

I am planning on building a computer and I am currently shopping for the parts. I am building the computer around an "Intel BOXD945GCPE LGA 775 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard" and I'm curious about the type of video card to get for it because this motherboard does not have PCI x16 Expansion slots. So I'm wondering if a "POWERCOLOR AX4350 256MD2-S Radeon HD 4350 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card" will work with it because the chipset on it is a "PCI Express 2.0 x16"|||PCI Express is an expansion bridge for computers that specifies a new means of data transmission and new physical configurations for expansion slots. The PCI Express bridge is completely different than the older PCI bridge. Because the BOXD945GCPE does not have the PCI Express x16 expansion slot on the motherboard, the HD 4350 will not work with it. In fact, the card won't even fit into any of the PCI slots. The physical characteristics of each slot are different. I wish I had better news about this motherboard.

I do have better news in general. Intel makes virtually the exact same motherboard with a PCI Express x16 1.0 slot. The model number is Intel BOXDG31PR LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard* and it only costs about $5.00USD more than the model you list.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment