Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Do I need to uninstall onboard GPU drivers before installing a PCI-E video card?

I'm on Win XP SP2. Do I need to uninstall or disable the onboard graphics before installing a new card on my system? The onboard is ATI Radeon and I will be adding an Nvidia GeForce.|||You should disable it in case of conflict, not always essential but recommended



pcfx|||It would be a good idea to as it would eliminate any driver compatibility issues. Personally though I didnt install any drivers for my on-board graphics card when I got this computer, and then simply installed the new card with the new drivers - worked fine.



But yes, if you have onboard drivers installed, it does no harm in removing them.|||Nope, I would not uninstall any drivers for your current GPU.



Rather, after you insert your new video card, depending on your bios and mobo you may need to enter the bios and tell it to use the pci x (or agp or whatever) rather than the on board video.



I have installed several video cards and have never had any issues.



Make sure to ground yourself before installing, worst thing you could do is shock and blow your new video card!



Good Luck!|||it would be a good idea to disable it (I wouldnt unistall it, if you acidently disable the wrong hardware it can easily be reenabled) depending on your system you computer may try to use both graphics controlers wich could decrease performance.|||Yea you should disable the onboard graphics card. To do this go into your system's BIOS. That way you don't run into any conflicts.|||Don't disable that is just stupid, you should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment