Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Can't install video card drivers for Radeon 6870?

I used to have a GeForce 9800 GT and then I thought it broke. I decided to get a new one so I shopped around and bought a XFX Radeon HD 6870. I plugged it in and such but and tried to install ATI catalyst but it is not working so I cannot get any drivers for my card. I can get as far as to the screen where it gives you the option to install or uninstall but when I click install I get an error message from windows like the one below.





"Windows detected that this program did not run correctly



To try and fix the problem, Windows has applied compatibility settings to this program. Windows will use these settings the next time you run the program.



If you noticed that this program didn't run correctly, try running the program again.



Program: CATALYST Install Manager

Publisher: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

LocationL C:\AMD\AMD_RA...\InstallManagerApp.exe"





I am stuck in the windows basic theme and can't change the resolution above 1280 by 1024. This is the same thing that was happening with my old card. The only thing that might be messing it up could be that I have the 4 pin molex to 6 pin pci express adapter for my video card cause my power supply (Sunbeam Hush Ultra 680W PSU) only came with one 6 pin connecter but I don't think that is the problem. In the device manager the only thing under the Display adapter section is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. Anyone know what's going on?|||Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all video drivers

Reboot and try again



If needed try Revouninstaller

Free Version at bottom of page

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_unin…



<><><><><>



I think your 9800 Gt took out the Power Supply or the PCI-E slot

Check Voltages with HWMonitor

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor…|||hello, goto Control Panel / Add remove programs....search to see Nvidia drivers...



REMOVE ....



reboot pc....now try again to install ATI driver......if fails again connect to net and download a differnt version of driver. ok|||Did you uninstall the Geforce drivers before trying to install the 6870?|||Did you remove/uninstall the nVidia drivers? Leftover drivers from a previous video card, even from the same manufacturer, can do strange things when you intall a new graphics card.



EDIT: I am most unimpressed by the Sunbeam line of power supplies. They're cheap, but their listed wattage is a peak number under ideal conditions, not real life. However, that shouldn't have caused your software installation problem.



Beware generic power supplies: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/5…

No comments:

Post a Comment