Friday, May 4, 2012

Which video card is better? ATI radeio 300se PCI-e with 256 (128/128) or a pci-e nvidia 6600 with 128MB?

I had Nvidia cards for years and 3dfx's before that. My main computer that I use has a pci-e ATI Radeon 300se with 256MB of memory (128 actual/128 shared). I just ordered a 128 MB nvidia pci-e 6600.



I was never really happy with my ATI because it did not give me the performance I expected until I recently added memory to my computer. My system is now a P4 2.8Ghz HT 800 fsb with 1.5 gb ddr2 pc3200 and sb live 24 bit audio card.



Which video board would give me better performance. The radeon with hypermemory using 128 MB of my system memory shouldn't lag too much at 400 mhz or the nvidia with less total memory.



I have seen a big difference in performance going from a 64 MB mx4000 AGP to a 128MB mx4000 card PCI in my two children's computers. To my surprise the PCI version performed better because of the extra memory.|||The GeForce 6600 will be better, the 300SE is an extremely low end video card, hence the poor performance you have noticed.|||I don't know about the ATi but the nVidia 6600 - im not to keen on that... What is your price range? I recently saw an nVidia PNY card (GeForce 7900GS 256mb PCIE ) for just over a hundred. Very low power consumption worries too...|||The Radeon X300 is actually a low end video card that is 3 generations behind the latest video cards, whereas the NVidia GeForce6600 is 2 generations behind and is considered to be a lot faster than the Radeon X300.



Also, to correct your on your observation. Video card memory does not predict performance at all. It is because a computer has many parts, such as processor, RAM, hard disk, even the motherboard such can have an impact on it's overall performance. So perhaps there are parts in one of the computers that are slow causing it to be much faster compared to the one with the AGP slot.|||Ati 300 se = garbage



Go for the 6600

No comments:

Post a Comment