Friday, May 4, 2012

What if a video card has no fan or cooling system?

I am considering buying a Radeon HD 2400 PCI video card for my Dimension 3000 desktop (it seems it's my best option for gaming without PCI-E slots), but it doesn't have a fan. What happens if you don't have a fan? Does it just get really hot?|||Theoretically, the card should be designed in such a way as to dissipate the heat that it generates. However the newer cards (and by newer I mean within the last 5 years or so) tend to generate more heat. Heat of course increases the overall temperature of your system while lowering the life span of your hardware. This is a good card, but I would get an 80mm case fan or something near it just to attempt to dissipate some of the heat produced to help your system and card last longer.|||a fan is only needed on a graphics card if it is powerful enough to generate more heat than a heat-sink and the internal case fan could take care of

No comments:

Post a Comment