Friday, May 4, 2012

Is this a good video card for AGP?

Hello,



I'm thinking of buying a new video card, but should I get a new one?

My current video card is the nVidia Geforce 5200FX

Should I upgrade to the 3850 radeon?



I only have AGP, and PCI but I decided to go with AGP.



Thanks.|||since apg is more or less dead in the water with fewer and fewer cards being produced then unless you plan on a complete upgrade then the card should be fine.

don't expect miracles from it though as agp is quite slow when compared to pci-e 1.1 and 2.0 cards so newer games will struggle.

older games ie. strategy games, gta 3 Cs 1.6 should run fine maybe even Css depending on the rest of your setup.



I would higly recommend you upgrage to a board that supports pci express either 1.1 or 2.0 for a greater option in graphics cards when/if you have the cash.|||i think the highest agp you can get is 3850, but your motherboard may not support it. read your motherboard manual on the agp slot before getting a video card of that kind. not all motherboard on agp can support 3850.|||.............



AGP hasn't been used in....



the 3850 is a PCI-E card only, AGP hasn't been used in ages, it's an obsolete transfer method



-edit-



oh holy crap i just wiki'ed it, they DO still use AGP, honestly though get the PCI-E if you can



but still, if you still have a mobo that is using an AGP slot upgrading your vid card (and make no mistake that IS a great upgrade) might only fix your problem slightly, it sounds like your MOBO might be more of a bottleneck than your vid card|||No. It's not good.

I bought that too.|||Yes it is. Major upgrade.|||Well, a month ago I replaced my old ATI 800 pro AGP with Sapphire 3850 AGP because of the shader and direct x10.1 support. Actually, 3850 AGP provides even better performance than 3850 PCIE (http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/8/t1294027-agp-pci/).

As my old ATI 800 pro AGP was very powerful though, it turned out the progress was not as great as I needed, so I had to go to the AM2 Dual Core CPU and alivedual motherboard supporting both AGP and PCIE standards. Consequently, you should consider the improvement you need, having in mind that the latest games couldn’t be played on a single core CPU.

No comments:

Post a Comment