Monday, April 23, 2012

How do I disable "Shared System Memory" for a PCI add-in video card? (ATI Radeon X1550 Pro)?

I recently bought a Diamond Stealth X1550 PRO video card to upgrade from the integrated graphics in my ultra-cheap HP desktop (no PCI Express or AGP slots.) The HP BIOS has no way of disabling the onboard video entirely, just making PCI 'primary'. In Windows (Vista Home Premium,) I can disable the onboard (Intel 910GL) graphics in the Device Manager. However, when I get the graphics card properties for the Radeon, it says "256 MB Dedicated Video Memory" and "255 MB Shared System Memory" for a total 511 MB "Total Available Graphics Memory".



As this card has 256 MB onboard, I don't want to over-saturate the PCI bus having the video card use up to 255 MB of main system memory. (My wireless network card is also on the PCI bus.) Is there any way in Vista to disable the "Shared System Memory"? I am running the latest (April 18, 2007, v7.4) version of the ATI Radeon X1000 series drivers and Catalyst Control Center, and cannot find such a setting anywhere.|||i dont think you can, and its not such a big deal

no game has been ever created that requirs more than

256 of onboard graphics memory so unless you running

CAD or modeling/rendering 3D software your card wont need to take from the system memory|||im guessing its in advanced display properties ... and unless ur short on ram i wouldnt worry about overloading the bus ...

No comments:

Post a Comment